I'm the wife of OFFICER, whom I'm madly in love with. And these are my stories of being A ROOKIE'S wife.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Tropical Storm Debbie, Trick or Treaters and Tofu Turkey

Well kids, its me and Officer's first married Thanksgiving.  I know the question that keeps you from sleeping at night, tossing and turning in your bed that you're unable to shake is... what am I making?! (yes, I as in A Rookie's Wife, not what are you making - ha). Not a darn thing.  Some domesticated wife I am.  And it's not because I don't like to cook, I do (as long as it's blue box macaroni and cheese, frozen pizza, or my new favorite - chili cheese fries).  But, I want Officer to actually enjoy this holiday with the proper food.  So, with me NOT cooking any of the food, this should be a holiday without any commotion, disasters, etc - right?  Well, according to our track record, probably not.

Let's start with our wedding day (okay, I know it's not a holiday, but it's a monumental event).  Months and months of planning a destination wedding - my mother BEGGED me to push back the date when I originally set it just in case I couldn't get everything (like the dress) in on time.  But, I wanted to be married in the state where I spent all of my summers visiting my grandparents - Florida.  And everyone knows that you can't be in Florida past June or you have the risk of hurricanes.  So it HAD to be June.  We had beautiful weather leading up to the big day OUTSIDE (disclaimer: not a beach wedding).  On the wedding day, the weather is overcast, but that's wonderful - it's not too hot and I hear it's great for pictures!  The wedding was at 6:30... tropical storm Debbie hits at 6:25, but she only DOWNPOURS for about 15 minutes before being finished for the remainder of the wedding.  Yes, every single entire guest was soaked from the tip of their head to their toes (including the groom).  Other than my sister and me (we stayed in the limo) there wasn't a dry soul at our wedding.  I'm not talking about the wipe-down-with-a-napkin and you'll be fine kind of wet, I'm talking your undergarments are soaked, your body will be wrinkly when you get home, it's the just-jumped-into-a-lake-with-you-clothes-on kind of wet.  And the next day, guests were stranded on the island they stayed on because of the winds, our bed and breakfast became just a bed because they didn't have electricity to make breakfast, etc.  (:  Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change it for the world, but it definitely didn't go as planned. (One good joke came out of it though - my aunt said to me "now you can always say that Debbie almost ruined your wedding!"  You should see people's reactions when I do say that -ha.  Always a good laugh)

Then, our first big holiday - Halloween.  I loved Halloween as a teen.  My parents and I would turn on one of the old Halloween movies and we would be THE house that gave out the good candy - you know the name brand candy bars.  So, you can only imagine my anticipation of this holiday in my new house with Officer.  We shouldn't have, but we splurged on buying the good candy.  And we even discussed what we would say when kids would come back for a second handful of it since it was that good.  (Really, it wasn't, but we felt like it was).  We debated what Halloween movie we would watch (we didn't have any of the actual Halloween's) so we watched Van Helsing.  20 minutes in.. no trick-or-treaters - is our light on?  check.  An hour in, no trick-or-treaters - are our clocks wrong? no.  By the end of the night, we had a total of 12, yep count them, 12 trick-or-treaters.  And we had hundreds of pieces of candy left over.  Which ended up being delicious over the next few days - I have no self-discipline.  But again the holiday turned out not as we planned it.

So I'm eagerly awaiting Thanksgiving to see what will not go as planned.  Grammy will have made a tofu turkey instead of a real one, to try to be healthy, or something.  Or maybe, because I don't have a hand in it, things will be marvelous.  We'll just have to wait and see.  And I look forward to sharing with you whatever happens. (:

With that, safe travels and happy eats to all! 

And thanks to all the LEO's out there working this holiday season!  Officer will be right there with you on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day!

2 comments:

  1. I miss your blog! Hope your holidays are going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I miss blogging! I'm hoping to get started again soon! I've racked up plenty of stories in my time off! Hope all is well with you, Wife in Blue! (:

      Delete